XMMS Problem Streaming MP3/M3U Files: Solved!Filed on Mar 26, 2006 by Anthony DiSante
For the past few months, I haven’t been able to play streaming MP3s (via M3U files) in XMMS.
I’m not sure exactly when it started, but at some point it started reporting the message "Error: server said HTTP/1.1 200 OK" whenever I clicked on a website link to an M3U file. Which is bizarre, since the text of the error reports that the request status was OK (code 200).
Other times, on different websites or different M3U files, XMMS would just lock up instead of printing that error message.
I’ve done some brief searching to try to find a solution, but never spent that much time on it. Tonight I got so fed up and spent an hour searching: googling, looking up XMMS bugs, etc. Finally I found the solution on the Gentoo forums: you have to disable the "MAD MPEG Decoder plugin" in the XMMS Preferences.